Journey For Justice and Advancement Project File Title VI Complaints Against School Closures
On behalf of Journey for Justice organizations, Advancement Project filed three complaints under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act, which prohibits discrimination in use of federal funds, alleging discrimination in Newark, New Jersey; Chicago and New Orleans – each a city deeply impacted by school closures. The complaints, which detail the racially discriminatory impact of school closures and privatization on children of color, were filed with the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights, as well as with the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Cover Letter to Atty. General Eric Holder and Secretayr of Education Arnie Duncan (PDF)
- Newark, NJ Title VI Complaint (PDF)
- New Orleans, LA Title VI Complaint (PDF)
- Chicago, IL Title VI Complaint (PDF)
- Complaint Attachment: Sustainable School Transformation Proposal (PDF)
- Journey for Justice Alliance Report: Death By A Thousand Cuts: Racism, School Closures, and Public School Sabotage (PDF)