SENIOR COMMUNICATIONS ASSOCIATE
Advancement Project is a next generation civil rights organization. We tackle inequity using innovative strategies and strong community alliances. With a national office in Washington, DC and an office in California, we combine legal analysis and support, communications and grassroots organizing to create workable solutions and achieve systemic change. We aim to inspire and strengthen movements that expand opportunity for all.
Across the nation, young people of color are criminalized in schools and in their communities. Structural racism that operates through discriminatory policies and practices, including police violence, combined with misguided, biased perceptions have led to over-incarceration, harassment and at times, even death of young people of color. Through strategic communications, Advancement Project seeks to shift existing narratives to bolster the systemic changes that the racial justice movement is pursuing.
Advancement Project seeks a creative, energetic, and committed professional to serve as Senior Communications Associate. This position is based in Washington, DC. Some travel is required.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
- Under the direct supervision of the Managing Director of Communications, the Senior Communications Associate will perform the following duties:
- Manage research on existing narratives and monitor shifts.
- Coordinate meetings with thought leaders.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive communications plan for changing the narrative around criminalization of youth of color.
- Offer communications support to grassroots groups working on youth criminalization.
- Develop a network of communicators and influencers for dissemination of messaging.
- Manage creative issue campaign to change narratives around youth and communities of color.
- Identify and build relationships with media covering policing, mass incarceration and racial justice.
- Gather and produce journalistic content (audio, video, digital and written) for various formats.
- Write communications plans, opinion editorials, press releases, talking points and other materials.
- Develop creative content to shift the narrative.
- Provide logistical support and coordination for media events.
- Work with graphic designer on the production of collateral materials.
- Develop press lists and clip files.
- Prepare press kits as needed.
- Research and develop program-specific fact sheets.
- Develop effective pitches for media.
- Creatively develop messages and digital content to shift the narrative.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, political science or related field preferred.
- 5-7 years’ experience in communications including campaign experience.
- Experience working with pollsters and utilizing public opinion research.
- Experience with juvenile/criminal justice reform and/or racial justice movements.
- Experience with rapid response and crisis communications.
- Experience developing and editing high-quality written materials, including: communications plans, fact sheets, talking points, opinion editorials, blog posts, press statements, etc.
- Demonstrated experience in digital communication (blogs, online communities) and use of social networking tools – Twitter, Facebook, etc. – to promote organizational objectives, a plus.
- Strong strategist.
- Project management experience for public opinion research projects.
- Experience working on political or issue-advocacy campaigns.
- Training experience.
- Relationships with national media.
- Event coordination experience.
- Exceptional writing skills.
- Skill at development of collateral materials.
- A high level of organization skills.
- Familiarity with Excel, PowerPoint and other standard software.
- Results-focused approach and commitment to going the extra mile.
- Significant media relations experience with proven results.
- Experience working with reporters including pitching and placing news articles and news segments.
Applicant should be a self-starter, have: campaign-pace writing skills; experience writing for the media, a keen eye for detail, the ability to multitask; accountability to goals; enthusiasm for innovation; and a passion for and demonstrated commitment to racial justice.