Advancement Project’s Washington DC office seeks a Program Associate to support its civil rights litigation and advocacy work.
Advancement Project is a next generation, multi-racial civil rights organization. We tackle inequity with innovative strategies and strong community alliances. With a national office in DC, and two offices in California, we combine law, communications, policy and technology to create workable solutions and achieve systemic change. We aim to inspire and strengthen movements that expand opportunity for all.
This entry level position will work with and support staff and attorneys across all of Advancement Project’s programs and initiatives. Current program areas include voter protection, ending the schoolhouse-to jailhouse-track, immigrant justice, and guaranteeing the right to vote.
- Strong writing, communication and factual research skills, including editing, cite checking, and the ability to distill and present data.
- Intermediate to advanced computer and data entry skills, including familiarity with MS Word and basic Excel calculations.
- Enthusiasm for work in various program areas.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial justice and the ability to work with communities of color.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative/team environment.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, work under deadlines, and juggle multiple tasks/assignments.
- The ability to analyze legal and factual documents for accuracy.
- Strong analytical abilities.
- High level of motivation and initiative.
- Sense of humor.
- Comfort working with and analyzing numbers, including Census data.
- Paralegal skills or experience; including some knowledge of legal terminology and principles, and the ability to interact well with attorneys as well as grassroots community leaders.
- Experience tracking state and/or federal legislation.
- Experience submitting and/or tracking public records requests.
- Experience conducting and transcribing interviews.
- Experience using database management systems, such as Microsoft Access.
- Experience using graphic design software.
- Substantive experience working in any of Advancement Project’s program areas.
- Fluency in more than one language.
Deadline: Open until filled