Development Manager-Major Gifts
Classification: Full-time, Administrative and Professional Staff, Exempt Position
DEVELOPMENT MANAGER-MAJOR GIFTS
Advancement Project’s National Office seeks a goal-oriented, midcareer gifts officer with demonstrable experience raising funds to support advocacy, policy or organizing to join our development team as Manager of Major Gifts. This position is based in Advancement Project’s National Office in Washington DC, and supports revenue-generating operations under the supervision of the Managing Director of Development.
The Manager of Major Gifts serves as the organization’s major and individual gifts officer, and is responsible for maintaining and increasing income from high level prospects, generating new leads and funding streams through research, and cultivating ongoing relationships with individual donors.
Advancement Project is a next generation, multiracial civil rights organization. Rooted in the great human rights struggles for equality and justice, we exist to fulfill America’s promise of a caring, inclusive, and just democracy. We use innovative tools and strategies to strengthen social movements and achieve high impact policy change.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Identify, develop, and implement solicitation strategies to build and the organization’s overall prospect portfolio; Manage a portfolio of current major donors and maintain separate portfolios on behalf of the Executive Director and Managing Director.
- Manage the donor engagement cycle for all key prospects throughout the cultivation, solicitation, recognition, and stewardship phases.
- Utilize financial and donor records to identify and reactivate lapsed and past donors.
- Utilize metrics and reporting to track progress towards goals, and to keep the leadership team apprised of successes and challenges.
- Work collaboratively with Executive Director, development team and program staff to develop and articulate compelling cases for support.
- Plan, manage and facilitate fundraising events, including the capture and documentation of participant data and the use of metrics to achieve ROI; execute awareness-building events as needed.
- Seek and participate in external events and networking opportunities, e.g., industry conferences, workshops and funder convenings.
- Collaborate with Managing Director of Development to prioritize research needs;
- Research, document and maintain constituent data in the Major Gifts database;
- Create update and maintain donor and prospect profiles and reports;
- Research and produce actionable prospect data by Identifying through extensive research of Advancement Project’s internal and external resources.
- Maintain collegial work relationships. Periodically supervise department interns and/or volunteer staff.
- Represent department as a member of various organizational committees.
- Maintain a positive attitude and willingness to assume additional responsibilities at the discretion of immediate supervisor and other members of the Leadership Team.
- Treat sensitive financial and donor data with discretion.
- Persuasively articulate the mission, goals and program priorities of Advancement Project’s national office in written and oral presentation.
- Develop presentation materials, including research, slides, scripts, talking points and proposal collateral for prospect meetings;
- Develop and implement custom appeals in collaboration with communications team.
- Manage the development and production of proposals, newsletters, brochures, pamphlets and other development outreach materials to individual constituents, as necessary.
- A demonstrated commitment to racial and social justice.
- Bachelor’s degree required and at least five years’ of progressive and relevant fundraising experience in mission-oriented non-profit setting.
- Demonstrated success in securing major gifts from individuals and high net worth individuals.
- Broad knowledge of a variety of gift vehicles required.
- Prior project management experience is helpful in addition to strong technical skills and practical knowledge of donor management software platforms is desired.
- Event management experience is highly desirable.
- Must possess strong interpersonal, research, and writing skills.
- Superior oral communications skills.
- Previous work in a cross-functional or matrix team environment strongly preferred.
- Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package included.
HOW TO APPLY
1220 L. Street NW, Suite 850
Washington, DC 20005
Advancement Project is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer